Our family of 5

Our family of 5

Friday, February 11, 2011

Family Fun Fridays: First dentist visit

     You can see by this picture that W-man was not thrilled when we were leaving our home early yesterday morning to go for his first dentist visit. For some reason, he seems to be fearful of the unknown these days....with the dentist being near the top of his list. I had no idea how this was going to go, but the day arrived and off we went!!
     I ended up taking all three kids with me. For some reason, I thought that it would be good for Little A to watch the other two kids get their teeth cleaned, as practice for the future. I was terribly wrong. Somehow I managed to forget that Little A has been to the doctor one too many times this past month for ear infections, a chicken pox vaccine reaction, etc. She HATES the doctor's office now, so she took one look at the dental exam room with the bright lights, the scrubs, and the chair, and she started bawling. I felt so bad for her and at the same time I wasn't exactly sure how they were going to clean my teeth. I felt so ridiculous for thinking I could handle all three kids by myself at the dentist. Just as I was about to reschedule my appointment, this awesome receptionist took Little A and held her and played with her while I got my teeth cleaned. Meanwhile, another hygienist got started on the kids and before I knew it, we were ready to leave and everyone was happy. W-man did an awesome job, much to my surprise considering the way our day got started. He loved the experience and has already been asking when we get to go back. WHAT? How did that happen?
     Here are a few pictures of Will's first dentist appointment. He even told the hygienist, "thank you", each time she rinsed out his mouth. I was in shock, but very thankful that everything turned out okay. All three of the kids got to take home toys from the office and they each got their own new toothbrush. Clean and sparkly smiles made for a nice drive back home. :):).

"I'm a big boy, Momma"


He is looking a little skeptical in this picture.  They also had to keep reminding him to open his mouth.

    
     Thanks for reading one of our "Family Fun Friday" adventures. I will conclude with a quote from, The Tooth Book, by Dr. Seuss....."...Never bite your dentist when he works inside your head. Your dentist is your teeth's best friend, bite carrot sticks instead.".
       I am off to enjoy this Friday with my children.  Happy Friday and happy weekend to you all!!

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad this story had a happy ending for you, Sarah! I took my older two while I was still pregnant this past fall and I was nervous about that. But in the end, they did great and the staff at my dentist's office was wonderful, too. I love how God reaches out to provide for us in His kindness, even at the dentist! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, Heather!!!! :). Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather's right, the kids' first dentist visit turned out to be a happy ending story. I guess the moral of the story is just trust the professionals and everything will be alright.

    Bianca Jackson

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s good to hear that Will’s first visit to the dentist ended perfectly fine. There’s really nothing to be afraid about dentist. They are here to help us protect and maintain the good health of our teeth, in short, they are our friends!

    -Deena Herring

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really helps to have a dentist who is child friendly! She knows how to put kids at ease while doing her job. Dentists are our friends and we should be thankful for them instead.

    -Rae Screen

    ReplyDelete